Monday, January 15, 2007

Taiwan in Hollywood

Lev Andropov: Excuse me, but I think I know how to fix this.
Watts : Move it! You don't know the components!
Lev Andropov: [annoyed] Components. American components, Russian Components, ALL MADE IN TAIWAN!
-Armageddon

My wife gets pissed off every time she hears these kinds of lines about Taiwan in movies. She can't understand how I can just sit back and laugh in movies like South Park that poke fun at Canadians. Oh well, touchy, touchy.

I remember a while back a student made reference to a Michael Douglas film that said something similar about Taiwan with regard to an umbrella he bought.

So here it is. I'm looking for input. I need more references to Taiwan in the movies. Please write to me by commenting to this entry. I eagerly await your suggestions and choices.

2 comments:

FarAway said...

No takers, eh? You got me curious, however, so I checked this out: http://imdb.com/Find?select=Quotes&for=taiwan

Interestingly, 6 of the 7 quotes found on IMDB refer to the "Made in Taiwan" idea that Americans find so amusing. What's funny to me is that this very idea is often hard to explain to Taiwanese friends. Whenever I comment that Americans joke about everything being made in Taiwan, they respond with "But that's not true. Everything is made in China!"

Anonymous said...

Look up "Bowfinger" with Steve Martin and Eddie Murphey. Great movie! At the end, they go shoot a movie in Taiwan called "Fake Purse Ninjas". I saw this in the theatre in Taiwan - people still laughed (but maybe a little nervously).
-Mike Francis

Share IslaFormosa on Facebook

Share

Haven't found what you want?

Google

Total Pageviews

RSS Subscribe Now!