Tuesday, January 2, 2007

A key word to use: MONKEY

Monkeys are indeed fascinating animals. However, in my time here in Taiwan, I have found that, other than being the interesting animals they are, the word monkey is an instrumental teaching tool.

Monkeys are curious and mischievous animals. Whatever they may be, they have a soft spot in the hearts of Taiwanese. Saying the word almost immediately commands attention.

If you want to try it, say something like this to a group of unmotivated students in a first class: "Write your English names on the board. The last person to write their name is a monkey." And just watch them fly!!!

Why does it peak Taiwanese interest? Well it may be one of those key English words drilled in school. That's my theory, at least.

Let me know if you have any more key words like this to share... Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interest is piqued, not "peaked"

Thanks for giving me and the whole online world a good laugh. There's nothing more satisfying than reading the pontifications of an "English teacher" concerning the abysmal state of English in Taiwan. You arrogant jackasses are completely incapable of recognizing cause and effect.

Before you delete this and edit your page so as not to lose face, try to remember that every time you open your mouth or type a sentence, you risk being exposed for the con artist you are.

Unknown said...

Well, I write my blog rather quickly and I apologize for not having the command of English that you have. However, I do seem to have more by the way of manners.

Frankly, this term is something most people often hear and never write or see written. I should have guessed it was derived from French but my prime goal is to get material on the web as soon as possible and not salivate too much over errors.

Upon review I will try to correct what I can. I leave this one uncorrected in spite of your comment.

Also, it seems that I am not alone making this error.

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=702382

Share IslaFormosa on Facebook

Share

Haven't found what you want?

Google

Total Pageviews

RSS Subscribe Now!