Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Telling Asians Apart

Ohhhh, I love these kinds of things: people thinking they can tell each other apart and categorize.

I've posted similar stuff about types of girls in Japan before (http://blog.islaformosa.com/2007/03/girl-typology.html) but this one is far more interesting.

So what do you think of this take? Is it really so possible to differentiate and, if so, how many people could actually do it with any decent accuracy?

Weigh in folks! I'm thinking that determining differences is something akin to being a wine connoisseur; a lot of people think they can do it but the vast majority is pretty shit at it.

Watch this video and see how the whole differentiating process is so arbitrary:

It makes me wonder: what's the point in trying to tell each other apart anyhow? Could it have to do with the pecking order theory again? See http://blog.islaformosa.com/2007/06/asian-pecking-order.html

1 comment:

Tessa said...

People all look different, but certain Asians do have, at times, common characteristics.
Guessing based on these traits is not a science, it's not a 'sure-thing,' but it can give you a clue.
I think I'm ok at determining. Whether it's because my family is Asian (Taiwanese) or I have some Asian friends (Korean and Japanese), I'm not sure. It might be a help.

Share IslaFormosa on Facebook

Share

Haven't found what you want?

Google

Total Pageviews

RSS Subscribe Now!