Saturday, September 22, 2007

Myna bird's Taiwanese sounds

Meet Xiao Hei (Little Black). He's my father-in-law's bird. And a very special bird indeed.

First, he was found in the rafters of my parents-in-law's house under renovation.

Second, although a wild bird, he is quite fond of my father-in-law and, upon being released into the wild, will spend the afternoon in a tree with others like him only to return to his cage later on.

Third, Xiao Hei is a Myna bird. This kind of bird has a special mimicking ability. And this is where the real fun begins because Xiao Hei doesn't do the "Polly wants a cracker" routine. Xiao Hei does what birds in Taiwan usually hear. And that is cars and scooters!

He has two specialty sounds: scooters starting and car lock beeping. I have been fooled on many occasions as he truly does a smashing imitation of the real thing! I have even gone out into the street thinking someone was leaving or someone had just parked their car only to find that it was just Xiao Hei sitting lonely in his cage!

I'd like to make a recording of it if I get the chance and upload it. Stay tuned!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myna_bird

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crested_Myna

2 comments:

John Naruwan said...

This reminds me of a clip I saw on Google video recently of the lyrebird which is an amazing vocal mimic. It can mimic over 20 other bird calls as well as other sounds like camera shutter, a camera's motor drive, a car alarm, and most impressively, a logger's chainsaw!
Here's the link if you haven't seen it already.

Anonymous said...

That's hilarious!

Share IslaFormosa on Facebook

Share

Haven't found what you want?

Google

Total Pageviews

RSS Subscribe Now!