Tuesday, April 28, 2009

How many Taiwanese does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Here's the story behind the punchline.

I bumped into a female Taiwanese colleague in the elevator at work the other day. It seemed early and she looked like she was leaving so I asked her where she was going. She said home.

"Oh, to do what?," I asked.

"To change a lightbulb," she said.

"Why not later after work?," I decided to ask.

"Because a plumber is coming over to change it for me," she said matter-of-factly.

"Ok, can't you change the bulb yourself? I mean it's easy," I questioned.

"(Oh you silly foreigner) I'm a Taiwanese girl," she replied.

Yes, you certainly are, I thought.

Turns out that she didn't know anything about switching off breakers or electricity I guess and was willing to pay to have someone do a simple thing like this. This can happen in Taiwan where the girls often really play the part.

So to repeat from the beginning:
How many Taiwanese does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
Evidently, in a Taiwanese girl's case, it might mean at least two...

5 comments:

corey said...

wha...huh? It was a regular, everyday light bulb?

浪槓中年 said...

Just can't believe this could be true cuz I don't see anybody earn his life in Taiwan by "changing the lightbulb".

joe said...

omg!this is outrageous!
And I do not think she is a typical Taiwanese girl.
Curious who she is ~~

Iago de Otto said...

Too funny. But I totally know the story after 30 years here.

taiwanese girls said...

she is taiwanese girl ... cute as ever ;)

Share IslaFormosa on Facebook

Share

Haven't found what you want?

Google

Total Pageviews

RSS Subscribe Now!